How Renewable Developers Reduce Their Site Prospecting Time by Half
by Transect Team, on Jun 8, 2021
In response to the need for support in the fast-growing renewables field, he helped start Ozone Renewables with a group of renewable energy and development professionals. With a small team and limited resources, Boyd wanted to turn towards software to help increase site throughput and efficiency. Transect fit the bill to aid their utility-scale solar development process.
The Ozone team was looking for a way to swiftly disqualify or de-risk projects 50-75% of the way during the site origination phase before progressing in the development process.
Issues before Transect
- The siting and due diligence processes were resource-intensive, and having a small team meant resources were constrained.
- They had to access data sets from several different sources, making it challenging as well as time and effort extensive to keep up with the data.
- They were paying nearly $5,000 for CIAs that didn't include a field review.
To help complete the first level of due diligence efficiently, Ozone began using Transect’s platform. They found significant usage in our environmental mapping tool. Vision allows them to seamlessly view large data layers like wetlands, transmission, parcels, slope, and aspect to identify potential sites.
The biggest “game-changer” for Ozone has been the ability to run an unlimited amount of Transect Reports. After identifying potential sites, all the essential information found within a Transect Report allows them to evaluate those sites quickly and easily disqualify them if necessary. Our Reports have removed the need for Ozone to get expensive CIAs.
A quick “NO” is just as important as a “YES” when looking for projects to develop. The ability to run unlimited Transect Reports on prospective projects all over the nation has been a game-changer.
How Transect Helped
- Time Back - Ozone typically reviews about 100 sites to screen and has ten conversations with landowners to end up with one viable site. Implementing Transect gives a higher level of confidence in the viable site and reduces the time in prospecting by 50%.
- Trust - They have had 10+ Transect Reports reviewed by 3rd party environmental consultants, and nothing has been caught or added that wasn’t already identified in a Transect Report.
- Cost - With the ability to quickly disqualify projects based on the comprehensive data featured in the unlimited amount of Transect Reports, there is no need to pay for a CIA that doesn’t include a field study ever again.
Want to try Transect, the platform that helped this developer reduce their site origination time for projects by 50%? Sign up for a free account!